½ lb unsalted cod (preferably filet) cut in very small pieces
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
2 to 2 ½ cups water
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
4 cloves garlic, crushed
¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
1 envelope of Goya Sazon with Coriander and Annatto
Pepper to taste
Oil for frying
2 tablespoons sofrito (see Post on Sofrito) (Optional)
- To desalt the cod leave in plenty of water overnight. Discard the water and give it a couple of more rinses. Tear the cod into chunks.
- If you do not have time to desalt the cod, boil for 5 minutes and rinse two or three times.
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until all well blended.
- Place a large skillet with oil over low-medium. Do not cook over high heat as bacalaitos would brown too soon, and be undercooked.
- Pour into the skillet using a large cooking spoon. Fry them as big or as small as you’d like.
During frying, I usually flatten the bacalaitos to make sure that the batter gets cooked inside. It also helps in the release of some of the oil that has been absorbed. Drain them well in paper towel.