6 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups butter
1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoons ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup molasses (I like to use Grandma's unsulphured)
1. Combine cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Set aside.
2. Beat on medium speed butter and brown sugar until creamy.
3. Add eggs one by one.
4. Add molasses
5. Reduce speed to medium and add the flour mixture until all combined.
6. Divide into two round discs and wrap in plastic wrap. Let it rest for 1 hour.
7. Roll out dough between two pieces of parchment paper and using cookie cutters cut shapes to 1/4" thick and FREEZE for about 1 hour.
8. Meanwhile preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake cookies 12-14 minutes. Cool before decorating.
Note: I place the cookie cutouts right on the baking sheet and freeze for 1 hour. After the hour I just transfer them to the oven, in this way the cookies will hold their shapes.
Recipe adapted from sweetoppia.net.