I am making a plantain soup-economical and delicious! I usually give my digestive system a break from meat and poultry that we much consume during Christmas. In January I usually get on a strictly vegetable diet. For me I find it very beneficial.
6 cups vegetable broth or chicken
4 tablespoons olive oil
½ medium onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cubes of sofrito as in this recipe. You can substitute with chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
Ripe avocado (optional)
- Peel three green plantains.
- Grate with a grater two plantains. Set aside.
- Cube the third plantain and boil in a small saucepan with a little water. Boil until tender but not too soft.
- In a medium saucepan, start boiling six cups of broth.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, sauté the onion, garlic, vinegar, tomato paste and pepper. Sauté until onion is transparent. Pour in the boiling pot with the broth. Add the two grated plantains. Boil for about 10-15 minutes.
- Now turn off the heat, and with a handheld electric mixer, blend the bananas in the same pot that you boiled them. If no handheld electric mixer, let cool and very carefully pure with a mixer
- Bring back into the pot and simmer.
- Add in the plantain that has been boiling.
- This will start to get thick. Finally test for salt.
- Finally, add the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil and the sofrito cubes. If you don’t have sofrito you might chop cilantro instead.
- When the soup thickens turn off heat and remove from stove
Serve with avocado if desired.